Pre-Lab Reports (25%)
Download the lab manual from the website. Read the manual and answer the pre-lab questions.
Refer to references for answers to the pre-lab reports. Hand-writing only (typing is not acceptable)
Use your pre-lab report during the lab and SUBMIT to your TA when you leave the lab.
Your TA will inspect the cleanliness of your hood, bench, and glasswares. Only after the approval of
your TA, your pre-lab report will be accepted. Pre-lab reports that are not properly submitted won't be graded
and will get to credit.
Experiments and Results PPT Files (25%)
Follow the instructions of the manual.
Adhere to the safety rules.
During the course of experiments, take notes of experimental set up, observations, data etc.
You may take photo of experimental set ups and result.
After finishing the labwork, generate a PPT file (maximum 5 pages) that contains the experimental data.
Submission of a text light, scheme (Chemdraw, see below on how to install it) and photo heavy PPT file is encouraged.
That will make your life easier.
Submit your ppt file using turnitin before the next lab starts. In case of "Converting Aniline to Brominated Acetanilide:
A Multistep Synthesis" experiment turn it in by 6/9 10 pm.
Midterm and Final Papers (25% each)
1. Topic (experimental theme) of your midterm/final paper will be rnadomly announced on 4/11 (midterm paper)
and 6/5(final paper)
2. Online submission: www.turnitin.com
3. Create your account. Enter Class ID and Password (provided by TA).
4. Use ACS style template from
5. Enter your name in Korean (한글로 이름과 성 입력). English for foreign students.
6. Submission due: 4/24 10 pm (midtem paper), 6/19 10 pm (final paper)
7. For chemical drawing, use ChemBioDraw software.
8. Reports should contain general contents:introduction, data & results, actual experimental procedures, discussion, and references.
9. Post-lab questions should be included in the paper.
10. Plagiarism results in zero for all reports involved (Determined by Chief TA and Professor turnitin platform are very good at detecting
similarity between reports. Copy and paste of published paper will also be detected in the turnitin platform. So don't do that !)
11. Late submission is not allowed in Turnitin website. You should send your lab report to Chief TA. The maximum score for the late report is B+.
How to Download and Install Chemdraw Software
1. Go to http://www.cambridgesoft.com and create and ID and sign-in.
2. Go to http://sitelicense.cambridgesoft.com/sitelicense.cfm?sid=2207
Log-in using your KAIST email and obtain the Serial Number via email. Serial number can be obtained only once by the KAIST email account.
Be careful about the privacy of your account.